Speedometer Cable Replacement
Written by Lawrence Weeks.
The cable cost about $16.00 from my dealer.
I could have gotten it for a little less from Brown & Brown. As for installing it, it
wasn't very difficult. Here are some steps:
- Disconnect the cable from transmission. A pair of standard pliers
would be useful.
- Remove lower dash trim on driver's side.
- Remove/loosen the center trim panel.
- Now, you have to remove the trim which covers the instrument cluster.
This was the only "difficult" part. You need to disconnect all wire harnesses,
and then remove all switches from the trim piece. A small jewler's flat blade screwdriver,
and patience, will be useful in getting everything removed. Some switches required using
the screwdriver to press a tab on the housing to release the wiring harness connector.
- Now, slide the trim piece out over the steering wheel, which you
should lower all the way. You may need to gently "compress" the piece to get it
- Next, remove the instrument cluster, disconnect the cable, and pull
it out from within the engine bay.
- Slide the new cable in, and then connect it to the instrument
cluster, and the transmission. Close everything up.