A/C Switch Replacement
By Marc Hernandez
Models: Classics, NX's probably.
Need: New Blower Switch, Phillips screwdriver, small blade screwdriver for catch.
Despite all the unscrewing, takes 10-15 minutes to fix.
- Unscrew 4 screws from the center console; two under the vents above
the radio, two behind the ashtray and under the cig lighter.
- Slide the stick cover backwards and up to release it.
- Pull the console away from the dash carefully.
- Unhook the three switches (Fog lights, hazard, rear defrost) from
their respective harnesses.
- Unhook the cig lighter plugs. If you're careful, you should be
able to rotate the whole thing 180 degrees counter-clockwise and not have to unhook the
cable behind the console, but this is easy too.
- Under the dash about A/C level on Driver's side, flip the metal
holder toward you; it will pop off.
- Slide the cable off the post and you can now pull the cable and the
- Undo the four screws holding in the A/C control unit.
- Undo the two more screws that keep the Courtesy Tray in place.
Pull that free.
- Gently pull on the control unit cover and it should pop free, but be
careful of the a/c switch which is attached to this.
- Push the A/C control unit back carefully and it will pop free; you
need to do this to get to the catch on the top on the control unit that holds the blower
switch in place.
- Pull up on the catch behind the Recirc lever, pull the switch toward
the front of the car (away from the lever) from underneath.
- Unhook the harness, hook it to the new switch, and slide the new one
back into place.
- At this point TEST the switch and make sure it's in right before you
- Pop everything back into place, put screws back in.
- Slide cable through hole under vents and to the left of the center
- Reattach harnesses to switches and cig lighter.
- Slide whole mess back into place, it should pop into position.
- Put back in 4 screws, slide stick cover back into position.